Itachuna Rajbari is one of the most popular long drive places in Kolkata. Last year in 2013, Lootera movie was released and more than anything else, people were interested to visit Itachuna Rajbari/ Khanyan Rajbari. So were we. This place is just 2.5/3 hours drive (including breakfast for 30 min) from Kolkata and an extremely pleasant drive. Hence, off we start in 2 cars- total 7 persons.
Direction to Itachuna Rajbari:-
By Car :
- From Kolkata go straight to Durgapur Expressway via Dakhineswar or Vidyasagar Setu. After driving for around 1 hr you will cross Azadhind Dhaba and then Hindusthan Hotel on the left, take the next left exit and turn right under the bridge, this is Bosipur, now drive straight towards Halusai which is 19 km from Bosipur, take left towards Khanyan Railway Station. After 10 mins drive from Halusai, ITACHUNA RAJBARI is on the left-hand side of the road.
By Train :
Board any Burdwan bound train via mainline or Memari /Panduah local from Howrah Station.
- Get down at Khanyan station which is next to Talandu station (Bandel, Adisaptagram, Mogra, Talandu, Khanyan).
- Traveling time in train is around 1 hrs & 30 mins.
- Take the left exit from the platform. Magic, Auto & Van Rickshaw is readily available. Magic & Auto (approx Rs.5 per head one way)will take 7 mins whereas Van Rickshaw (approx Rs.12 per head one way) will take around 12 mins to reach ITACHUNA RAJBARI.
- (THE ABOVE DIRECTION IS TAKEN FROM THE HOTEL SITE http://www.itachunarajbari.com/contact-us.html )
Now, the building itself is so big that one needs at least a day to see it fully. Then came lunch. Any meal there has to be pre-ordered. It became a bit of a problem because they couldn’t manage an extra portion of chicken pakora in the evening snacks… didn’t like it. On the weekends, when you have a full-house, you can keep some boneless chicken extra handy in-case someone needs it. The lunch and dinner are served in old “Kansa” utensils in the dining hall. The food is good (sold in the thali system with tea/coffee/snacks as an a-la-carte system).
The evening puja at the old nat-mandir is also a nice experience… Then dinner and off to sleep. The next morning, you can have a stroll in the nearby area, though nothing much to see, so better relax and have a good luchi- sabzi-sweets breakfast.
- Living in a huge property
- Antique furniture
- The excellent food- the cook was great
- the flute-player
- Overall ambiance
- The maintenance of the rooms- if we book a 3000/- room, I’ll expect AC to run 18 hours at least (even on generator- mandarmoni hotels does it)
- Toilet shower was having a mild short circuit and when we pointed out that to the management at around 3 PM, the response was “today is Saturday and hence getting plumber is difficult” he didn’t come till we left the next day
- Some window glasses in the Chhotopisi rooms was broken and was not fixed
- scarcity of toilet water at night
- Breakfast could be complimentary (at least)
Hi need one picture of itachuna Rajbari. Will you be able to share?
Impressive writing. You have the power to keep the reader occupied with your quality content and style of writing. I encourage you to write more.
Thanks a lot …
Indrajit da, Can you please share the rate chart for the foods? Were those bhajans complimentary?
It’s an old post. So, honestly, I forgot.