Itachuna Rajbari is one of the most popular long drive places in Kolkata. Last year in 2013, Lootera movie was released and more than anything else, people were interested to visit Itachuna Rajbari/ Khanyan Rajbari. So were we. This place is just 2.5/3 hours drive (including breakfast for 30 min) from Kolkata and an extremely pleasant drive. Hence, off we start in 2 cars- total 7 persons.
Direction to Itachuna Rajbari:-
Now, the building itself is so big that one needs at least a day to see it fully. Then came lunch. Any meal there has to be pre-ordered. It became a bit of a problem because they couldn’t manage an extra portion of chicken pakora in the evening snacks… didn’t like it. On the weekends, when you have a full-house, you can keep some boneless chicken extra handy in-case someone needs it. The lunch and dinner are served in old “Kansa” utensils in the dining hall. The food is good (sold in the thali system with tea/coffee/snacks as an a-la-carte system).
The evening puja at the old nat-mandir is also a nice experience… Then dinner and off to sleep. The next morning, you can have a stroll in the nearby area, though nothing much to see, so better relax and have a good luchi- sabzi-sweets breakfast.
- Antique furniture
- The excellent food- the cook was great
- the flute-player
- Overall ambiance
- The maintenance of the rooms- if we book a 3000/- room, I’ll expect AC to run 18 hours at least (even on generator- mandarmoni hotels does it)
- Toilet shower was having a mild short circuit and when we pointed out that to the management at around 3 PM, the response was “today is Saturday and hence getting plumber is difficult” he didn’t come till we left the next day
- Some window glasses in the Chhotopisi rooms was broken and was not fixed
- scarcity of toilet water at night
- Breakfast could be complimentary (at least)