Last year in 2013, Lootera movie was released and more than anything else, people were interested to visit Itachuna Rajbari/ Khanyan Rajbari. So were we. This place is just 2.5/3 hours drive (including breakfast for 30 min) from Kolkata and an extremely pleasant drive. Hence, off we start in 2 cars- total 7 persons.
Now, the building itself is so big that one needs at least a day to see it fully. Then came the lunch. Any meal there has to be pre-ordered. It became a bit of a problem, because they couldn’t manage an extra portion of chicken pakora in the evening snacks… didn’t like it. In the weekends, when you have a full-house, you can keep some boneless chicken extra handy in-case someone needs it. The lunch and dinner are served in old “kansa” utensils in the dining hall. The food is good (sold in thali system with tea/coffee/snacks as a-la-carte system).
The evening puja at the old nat-mandir is also a nice experience….
- Living in a huge property
- Antique furniture
- The excellent food- cook was great
- the flute-player
- Overall ambience
- The maintenance of the rooms- if we book a 3000/- room, I’ll expect AC to run 18 hours at least (even on generator- mandarmoni hotels does it)
- Toilet shower was having a mild short circuit and when we pointed out that to the management at around 3 PM, the response was “today is saturday and hence getting plumber is difficult” he didn’t some till we left the next day
- Some window glasses in the Chhotopisi rooms was broken and was not fixed
- scarcity of toilet water at night
- Breakfast could be complimentary (at least)